Asset-Based Finance Growth Putting Banks to Shame

The rise in the level of support being given by the asset-based finance industry continues to put the banks to shame.

According to the Asset Based Finance Association (ABFA) in the three months to the quarter ended June 2014 asset-based funders (comprising of invoice finance and asset finance providers) lent out a record £18.9 billion to UK businesses.

The figures from the ABFA reveal that the combined amount of invoice finance and asset based lending provided to businesses grew by 7% in the last quarter, from £17.7 billion in March 2014, and 10% in the last year, from £17.3 billion in June 2013.

The ABFA puts the growth down to constraints on traditional lending as well as greater awareness and understanding amongst businesses as to how borrowing against the value of their invoices and other assets can free up cash to invest in growth.

The ABFA reported that 80% of asset based finance is invoice finance, in which businesses secure funding against their unpaid invoices, while the remaining 20% represents asset based lending, in which businesses can raise money secured against a range of other assets they own, including inventory, property and machinery.

Compared to the average fall in bank lending of 3% to 4% per year it’s clear that whilst many businesses may be forced to consider alternative sources of finance the fact that funding sources are now more diverse can only be a positive move.

Leave a Reply


What Our Clients Say

  • Rob kindly agreed to attend the recent Pontypridd RFC sponsors networking evening and delivered what can only be described as an excellent talk on 5 Tactics to Boost Your Business and Your Profits. He kept the audience engaged throughout and the feedback from everyone was excellent. Rob is very knowledgeable on business and finance and on top of that is a genuine nice guy. We hope to have him back at a future event and I have no hesitation in recommending Rob’s services.

    Angela Holloman-Coombes | Connective HR
  • Further to your recent presentation at LEAD Wales just wanted to say it was very refreshing to see somebody talk passionately and positively about finance, very insightful!

    Kay Hyde | Hyde & Hyde Architects
  • I wanted to thank you for such an insightful, energetic, and entertaining talk at the Kevin Green Wealth event on securing funding and creating a successful plan. It was brilliantly executed and a pleasure to listen to and the ideas I’ve learned are definitely going to help me in going forward.

    Max Cooper of Manchester
  • Rob delivered a series of 3 workshops aimed at understanding how finance houses look at finance propositions with the aim for us as a team to deliver more of a bespoke offering to our customer base. The training was delivered to a mixture of staff who work with new businesses start-ups and existing established businesses across Mid & South West Wales. Rob delivered the training with an abundance of passion and has really helped my team look at financial propositions in a different light, many thanks again Rob and I look forward to work with you in the near future.

    Shayne Yates | Welsh Government Regional Centre Service Mid Wales
  • Hi Rob, it was so interesting and entertaining listening to you at the Kevin Green Wealth Coach Workshop in Reading this weekend! I didnt realise you can find Finance proposals such fun!. Brilliant tips! Thanks.

    Gaz Jabeen | Bollywood Burn Out

    For details on how we deal with your data please read our Privacy Notice